I have eggs for breakfast pretty much every day. I try to mix it up by adding different veggies, or serving it with potatoes instead of toast. And I don’t usually get sick of it, but it does happen every few weeks.
When looking for options for quick, delicious breakfasts that don’t involve eggs, chia seed pudding is usually easy to find. It has been popping up on a lot of blogs lately, and it can be so easily adjusted to make different flavors that it is a great on-the-go option for breakfast!
My one problem with the recipes I found was that the protein levels were not what I was looking for. I have a fairly high protein diet, and this just wasn’t cutting it for me. So I got inspired by one post I saw where the author added a couple other superfoods – hemp seeds and quinoa.
I loved the idea and started experimenting. The outcome was this creamy, wonderfully filling breakfast that I could put in overnight and have immediately when I woke up, with 11 grams of protein. Plus, you can easily add a scoop of protein powder in there to get that number even higher and add some more flavor!
- 3/4 cup almond milk (I used unsweetened vanilla)
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp hemp seeds
- 1/4 cup cooked quinoa
- Cook quinoa according to package instructions
- Put all ingredients in a container and mix thoroughly
- Let sit for an hour or so, then mix again to prevent the chia seeds from settling
- From here, you can let it sit a few more hours or overnight
- Top with desired fruit or mix in protein powder, and enjoy!